For every politican who defends the Latino community there is a critic calling foul. David Green, states in his article Amnesty for illegals will burden system that “President Barack Obama is planning to ignore Congress and the will of the people by granting illegal amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants using “administrative measures.”
However, many of these critics ignore the following:
- Not all of the undocumented in the U.S. are Latino.
- The DreamAct is far from amnesty. Every undocumented student will have to either attend college or join the military to be considered into becoming a United States citizen.
- The anti-latino rhetoric has become an excuse to discriminate and stereotype Latinos by racists who obviously live off of opinions, not facts.
Here are some facts for Mr. Green to ponder over while he decides what nonsense he will be wrting next:
- According to usatoday.com The total number of illegal immigrants in the country is down from a peak of 12 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2009.”
- The Obama administration deported a record number of illegal immigrants in the 2010 fiscal year, according to figures released Wednesday by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Of the 392,862 deportations from October 2009 through September of this year, about half were illegal immigrants with criminal records. The total was about 3,000 more deportations than the record set in the previous year. latimes.com
While there is a sizable number of undocumented people entering the U.S., it’s exaggerated to state “floods of illegal immigrants [are] coming to our nation. Also, while Mr. Green insists on caontacting his congressman about the “flood”, invasion is the next word on his list, he should remind his congressman too about the undocumented workers many otherwise, “law abiding” constituents and himself have on their payroll.
All it has taken is to see some of us prosper and overcome the odds. While we were predominantly undocumented and many a pair of illiterate labor hands, we were tolerated. Now that Latinos’ ranks have swelled in just about any state previously unheard of, we are “invaders”. To those calling Latinos invaders I say, this is what you get for underestimating proud and resilient people. ______________________________________________________________________
Pa’lante Latino is dedicated to the forward progression of the people. We support, sponsor, write and showcase current events in the Arts, politics as well as community service. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com. Join our Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/palantelatino.